Thursday, March 1, 2018

Book Review: What Your Clutter Is Trying To Tell You by Kerri Richardson



I can't resist reading a new Hay House book, and how could I possibly resist reading something from another Kerri? I have been following Kerri Richardson on Facebook for quite awhile and enjoy her clutter busting tips, her many live chats, and following her adventures of building a tiny house with her wife Melissa. I was very excited to get my hands on her new book. 

What Your Clutter Is Trying To Tell You - Uncover The Message In The Mess And Reclaim Your Life arrived with a little over 100 pages, I thought hmm, this is slim, not your typical 250+ pages. But once I started reading, I realized something pretty spectacular, the book is clutter free! What could get across the point any clearer? When you read a book, especially self help, and the same message is repeated over and over again in slightly different ways, it can get very monotonous. You know the point could be wrapped up so much quicker. Well, Kerri did it! Kerri Richardson's book is filled with concrete steps to remove the clutter and get to the bottom of why it's there in the first place. She also provides her own personal stories and those from her clients too. 




What Kerri reveals in What Your Clutter Is Trying To Telling You, is far more valuable than just removing items from your home. Clutter is a symptom, and Kerri helps get you to the cause. Her book is a deep dive into the multitude of ways clutter clogs your personal space and your head space. Her book provides an easy method to break down clutter clearing in more manageable chunks. It takes away the overwhelm and provides an enormous sense of accomplishment in a short time.

While I read the book I also participated in a 30 Day Clutter Clearing Game that Kerri started on Facebook. This was also a fantastic way to ease into clutter clearing. For each day of the month, you clear that number of items (1 item for day one, 30 items for day 30, etc) and by the end you will have gotten rid of 465 items! Here's more details on Kerri's site: http://kerririchardson.com/clutter-game/She also offers private coaching, group coaching and Clutter Buster coursesKerri has endless ideas for clutter clearing. Along with her book, I highly recommend following her on social media to join her groups and live chats (links are below). The extra support helps so much. I am also an avid fan of her new Hay House Radio show on Mondays at 11AM PT. Definitely check it out, you can call in and speak to her too! 

Thanks to Kerri I realized that clutter is more than just objects, it can be in other things that weigh us down (including weight itself). She made me look at why I was really holding on to the extra pounds. I thought I was sabotaging myself for upcoming events in my life. I would start the diet because "x" event was coming up in a few months, but instead of losing, I would gain. Through Kerri's guidance, it became clear that it was the events themselves that I was protecting myself from. I am empathic, shy and sensitive, and new situations and different energies are difficult for me. The extra padding puts a buffer between that. It's definitely helpful to know the "why" when you are trying to make a change.

Another clutter trap was my art supplies. I have always thought "I am an artist" even though I haven't practiced it in a long time. I had art supplies in my closet as far back as high school and many from college. I felt like I couldn't let them go since "I am an artist" has been my mantra for years. I even bought a whole new set of art supplies well over a year ago to inspire me to create again. But it's still sitting in the same closet. Kerri helped me examine this. Is this something I actually enjoy? Through simple exercises, I have come to realize that what I thought was a fear of doing this again, may actually be that it's just not for me right now. I don't have to be an artist. Why would I create that kind of pressure on myself? I was able to let go of the high school & college supplies, and a stinky college textbook (I just don't like old book smell) And the best part is, I didn't have the attachment to it all that I thought I would. It wasn't hard to let it go. I kept the newer supplies, and before I decide if I will let it go entirely, I will try it out again, but with no pressure. I know now that I don't have to do or be anything other than happy.

I am the queen of lists. Through Kerri Richardson's book and the "Action Time!" steps, I was able to see how the lists were keeping me from having any fun. The lists never ended. So I've clutter cleared those, pared things down to what I really need to remember to do, and added in fun things on my list! I was also able to let go of Christmas items that had no meaning (or I didn't like), along with releasing the guilt feelings that whisper that I have to keep every memory forever. I let go of items that held negative memories. Going through the bad memories was only difficult at the start of the process (Who wants to conjure up bad feelings?), once I started working on it, and got things out of the house, I felt free and clear. Everything holds energy, and avoiding them and having them in my home, was not healthy. 

I let go of excessive wrapping paper, years old unfinished crafts (I have yet to remember what the googly eyes on rocks was all about), DVDs, kitchen items, school supplies, outdated food & medicine, clothing, computer cords, cookbooks, and more. Almost everything was donate or recycled. I paired down some of the school papers I've been keeping of my kids. Those memories are the hardest for me. I really felt like I needed to keep it all, but that was just something I put on myself, and now I am more able to let it go. I don't need to keep every single memory to remember their childhood or to honor them. 


                           


What Your Clutter Is Trying To Tell You shows the common causes of clutter, provides a resource list of where to donate or sell items, and even provides a section on turning clutter into cash! Kerri also points out so many additional types of clutter that may surprise you, but once sorted through and released from your life, will make a positive impact.

Kerri encourages us to look at what is coming in to our lives as the clutter leaves, and I just love that! This awareness paired with gratitude brings so much more goodness into our lives. Throughout the last month and a half of reading the book and letting go of physical, digital and mental clutter, so many blessings have arrived. I received an invitation from an Instagram friend to participate in goodness packs she was putting together. This resulted in a large order for Kindness Cards and paper butterflies that will now be distributed around the U.K.! I also received an affiliate check from Hay House, a free life insurance policy, a new TV for my office (also free), and many other blessings of kindness and abundance. The best part is feeling lighter, a sense that good is flowing in my life, and I am putting more positive energy into the world as a result. This is an ongoing process, but one I feel confident and positive about thanks to Kerri Richardson and What Your Clutter is Trying To Tell You.

Here are some ways to reach Kerri Richardson and buy her book:
Kerri's book: Hayhouse: http://hhafftrk.com/?a=3653&c=6166&p=r&s1=  
Kerri's book: Amazon http://amzn.to/2Fq5Oxa
Kerri's website: http://kerririchardson.com/
Kerri on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KerriCoach/
Kerri on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kerrioke/?hl=en
Hay House Radio: http://hhafftrk.com/?a=3653&c=1445&p=r&s1=

In Gratitude & Love,


Kerri Mulhern
www.suitablegifts.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 10-Minute Miracle

  Every Monday morning at 8AM Central Time you will find the latest 10-Minute Miracle Mondays video on my @kerrimulhern Instagram and YouTu...