Tuesday, March 1, 2016

21 Days of Art


My three weeks of space clearing were wonderful. It was challenging at times, yet so freeing. I am still clearing, and every time I work on this, I feel lighter and happier. More wonderful things are flowing into my life because of it. My next 21 days is being spent immersed in art. I have enjoyed drawing, painting and creating since I was young. For college, I went to the School of Visual Arts and studied advertising design. I really had an urge to go into fine arts, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make a career of it. Now I know, the things that call to you, are the things you should pursue.

When I was in college and worked at a pharmacy, the owner was so kind and let me paint the windows of his shop. It was fun and made me feel like an artist. I met so many fun people at college, and I wish I had spent more time with them. I didn't engage in college as much as I should have. But, I was working quite a bit to afford the supplies, commuting, and more. I put too much on my plate and stretched myself too thin. I also wasn't very good at saving (or asking for help), so I'm sure I could have made this easier on myself and enjoyed more. I was always coming from a place of lack and struggle. I have come to realize that everything is always provided for, the only lack is what I create in my mind. There really has never been a time in my life that things didn't end up working out. The worry really isn't necessary, trust in the universe is.


After college, I ended up working in direct marketing, and there was no artistic outlet in that at all. It was numbers, spreadsheets and lots of phone calls and emails. I still felt like an artist though, and I stayed as creative as I could in my personal life.

As the years went by, the artist in me went away. I let "life" take over. The best parts of that life are of course, my husband and sons. But the rest of it left me drained, because I wasn't filling it with the personal things that made me feel like me. I didn't realize this was happening, I was just going through my life. I was always too busy. Filling my life up with so much busy had buried the artist.

So now is the challenge to resurrect the artist, because I love her. I have been drawing again and I'm really quite shaky! I feel so out of my element. I used to love line drawings with ink or pen, but right now I feel like I've never done it before. I am not thrilled with what I have created so far, but I'm putting it out there anyway. This is where I am right now, and I'm not hiding it. So far I've made a pencil drawing of my cat, a collage as a model for an acrylic painting, a drawing of my sacred space (below) and colored in the beautiful The Secret Garden coloring book. I bought a beautiful art kit for Christmas, and I plan to try out everything: water color, oils, acrylics, pencils, pastels and more.


Thank you for joining me on my journey. Is there anything in your life that you've put aside that needs to come out to play again? Comment below, let's go through this together!


In Gratitude,

Kerri Mulhern
www.suitablegifts.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 10-Minute Miracle

  Every Monday morning at 8AM Central Time you will find the latest 10-Minute Miracle Mondays video on my @kerrimulhern Instagram and YouTu...