Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The next step.


As my oldest son prepared for his high school graduation, I kept making a fuss about celebrating.  "Why?" He kept asking me. "What is the big deal?" I so appreciate his humility, it is one of the many things I love about him. But as I stare at his pictures on my office wall of his yearly growth from infant to nearly 18, I am humbled and awed at how much there is to celebrate.  Dear Richard, this blog is for you.

Watching you grow from a pure, innocent baby to crawling, walking, and talking...wow it is such a miracle to behold.  Then discovering your beautiful personality, watching you grow and change, yet always hold on to those wonderful qualities that make you Richard, has been such a gift.  

Throughout your life you have dealt with challenges, conflicts, decisions, and you have always chosen a path of kindness, grace, and compassion.  This is who you are at your core, and I am so proud and honored to be a witness to such a wonderful soul.  

Who you are is not a grade, an award, a scholarship (although I am very proud of your outward accomplishments too!).  What is truly important is who you are, and what you put out into the world.  Your gift is what is inside of you, and that is one-of-a-kind and to be cherished.

I have watched you show kindness in the face of unkind behavior.  You are thoughtful and generous in all of your relationships. Your integrity shines through as you go the extra mile at your work, even when no one is watching.  

You have never wavered from who you are, you have always been true to yourself, and that to me, is the most valuable accomplishment you could ever have.  I know you will continue through life this way, even though it's not easy, because that is who you are. And I love you for that.

As you take the next step through the college years, please know that whatever you decide to "be" in the outside world, I will always support you, because I know who you truly "are" lies within you, and it's beautiful.

Congratulations my dear son.  You deserve every celebration, every well wish, every joy and happiness there is in the world.  

Love forever,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 10-Minute Miracle

  Every Monday morning at 8AM Central Time you will find the latest 10-Minute Miracle Mondays video on my @kerrimulhern Instagram and YouTu...