Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Book Review: Holy Shift! Edited By Robert Holden, Ph.D.


On October 21, 1965 Jesus spoke to Helen Schucman, Ph.D.:  "This is a course in miracles, please take notes." I don't know about you, but if Jesus spoke to me, I'd be writing it down, recording it, and tattooing it on my entire body. Helen, being of a more rational mind than myself, opted to write it down with the help of her friend and colleague William Thetford, Ph.D. Thus A Course In Miracles was born.

Whether it is a lecture, a book reference, or a familiar quote, A Course In Miracles (ACIM) has been brought more and more into my awareness as I continue on my spiritual quest.  This course offers spiritual transformation! However, the thought of reading a 1,200 page book seemed daunting at best, so I kept on listening to the lectures, the references, and the quotes (I'm not lazy mind you, I just thought my brain might explode).  

What a glorious day it was when I found out Dr. Robert Holden, Ph.D. was putting together a book of daily meditations called Holy Shift!, based on A Course In Miracles! Now I could learn from the brilliant author of Happiness NOW!, Shift Happens!, Authentic Success, Be Happy, and Loveability.  I had the pleasure of listening to one of his lectures at an I Can Do It! event last year, and am an avid listener to his weekly show on Hay House Radio. His messages are so on point, insightful, relevant, and transforming. He has studied ACIM for over 20 years, and his poignant and inspirational messages make him the perfect source to learn about the Course.

Dr. Holden has put together 365 of the most beautiful selections from ACIM to meditate on daily.  In Holy Shift! you will be transformed through poetry, prayer, and meditation. This is a beautiful daily meditation guide. For the purpose of this review, I read the entire book. So many times I would be reading a page and 'Wow!' 'Brilliant!' 'Amazing!' would just fly out of my mouth. I couldn't help myself. There was such beauty, joy, and release in this book. It reminds us that we are truly love, we are never alone, we are as pure as we were created- we just need to remember.  It also is a reminder that we are all one, we are free when we forgive, and what we see in the other is just a reflection of ourselves.  It is illusion shattering, ego releasing, uplifting, and miracle producing.

While I read the book in its entirety, I also took the day's message and sat there with it.  I wanted to experience the daily meditation as well. I read it several times, mostly aloud as a prayer. I asked God to help me absorb and fully understand the message that He wanted me to know from this meditation.  I set my iPhone alarm to twenty minutes, closed my eyes, and meditated.  This was the first time I was able to meditate without music, a mantra, or a meditation CD. I focused on my breathing, relished in the day's message, and was silent.

Do miracles occur from reading Holy Shift!? They sure do! As I continue with the daily meditations, I can feel the shift.  I don't need a bucket of money to fall out of the sky for me to witness a miracle (although I would not turn from it, should it decide to!). There are miracles in every moment, and this book allows you to notice them. Isn't it a miracle to feel peace, love for yourself and others, a gentle letting go of past and future towards living just in the present moment? There is a calm and joy that comes from learning that God loves us just as we are, that we are a part of Him, and we are never alone. 

For me, I feel less fear and I dwell less. I also feel an ease in taking care of the house that holds my soul, which I have not felt before.  This translates to a gentle desire to walk. Since starting the book, I have walked 3 miles a day.  Exercise was a chore in the past, along with a scolding for not taking better care of myself.  Now it feels like second nature, as if I'm not trying at all. I'm really not trying, it's just happening. No more scolding, I accept and love myself as I am right now. My appetite has changed, again, very naturally. I had a nudging to finally start my gratitude journal, and I have added synchronities and miracle observations that are now part of my awareness. It is all so easy, no pressure, just flowing. I also feel calmer and more loving towards others and myself. What I love about this book, is I have a daily reminder and lesson to keep me on this path.  It will always be with me.
   
I highly recommend Holy Shift!, whether you are new to ACIM or continuing on your journey. There are some books that exude power and this is one of them. You can feel it just by holding it in your hands. Every day you will learn more about yourself, the world that you have created, and the power of God within you. The biggest miracle is you will get to really know you- and you will be amazed at how beautiful you really are.  Bless you Dr. Robert Holden, Ph.D. for this exquisite book.

With Gratitude,

Kerri
www.suitablegifts.com












*Please note, this book was sent to me free from Hay House as part of the Book Nook Blogger program. All opinions and commentary in the above review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 10-Minute Miracle

  Every Monday morning at 8AM Central Time you will find the latest 10-Minute Miracle Mondays video on my @kerrimulhern Instagram and YouTu...